Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker  Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Monday, December 16, 2013

A Bump in the Road

Saturday, December 7, Hudson woke from his nap and it was time for a diaper change. When he stretched out with his little balled-up fists reaching for the sky, I went in for our routine tickles and raspberry belly laughs. What I found made my heart drop.

Lumps. Two of them. On his abdomen.

I'm no doctor, but I'm fairly certain that smooth is good and lumps are bad, so I called our (amazing) pediatrician and left a message. From pictures I text her, she wanted to see more, so we set up an appointment for Tuesday, December 10 early morning in her office to take a closer look.

Tuesday morning was like any other rushed morning trying to get out the door after sleeping just a little too long. We had plans that day. We were going to come back home and get the boys' elf of the shelf, Toodles who had left sugar cookies and M&Ms for us to do some Christmas baking. We were going to dance to Christmas music. We were going to  open our next Advent calendar box and read our daily scripture. We were going to just be us. If I could have known that was going to be our last "normal" moment for a while, I would have let us be late. I would have savored the moment just a little longer. I would have made the appointment in the afternoon so we could have had one last morning together naive to what was coming next. Naive to the word "Neuroblastoma."

Dr. Kohsla, our pediatrician, didn't feel comfortable making a diagnosis, so we were sent to Dayton Children's urgent care from her office with a paper in my hand for orders for an ultrasound to "Determine lymph nodes vs. mass." On the drive over I read it. I felt that motherly instinct that something was really wrong. I felt that gut feeling of dread.

The minute the ultrasound came up, I saw them. Two lumps and one very large circle. A mass. Neuroblastoma. Cancer.

What a blessing Dr. Kohsla was. She drove over to give us the news I already knew in my heart. Hudson, our precious almost-three-month-old baby boy had cancer. I collapsed into a heap in her arms. Cancer? How could it be so? He is a smiling, happy, healthy baby boy! I did everything humanly possible through pregnancy. I exclusively breastfeed. I sing to him. Play games with him. Read the daily updates on a calendar I have set up for him with milestones and the best ways to help him reach them. Where did I go wrong? How could our family, who has already had our share of heartache with three lost babies, have a newborn with cancer?

The ultrasound continued for what felt like hours taking picture after picture so our oncologist, Dr. Dole, at Childrens in Dayton could have the most information possible when we arrived. My mom and Jeff came to my side. Steve ran Cohen home where his parents took him for the rest of the day. What a gift our parents have been to us through this entire week.

Meeting Dr. Dole was the first relief. He had both a ton of information and no information at all, but it was a start. From the ultrasound, he told us we were looking at a malignant tumor coming from Hudson's left adrenal gland called Neuroblastoma and what he believed to be labeled "S4," that has a "good prognosis." We were sent to a room to get admitted for the next four nights and five days.

The next morning, around 5:30, after about two hours of sleep on my part, the nurse came in to give Hudson his first I.V. The best place for it...his scalp. As I helped him through the screaming, I just couldn't get over it: there was a needle in my baby's head. For contrast that would light up his little body to give us more information  in a CT scan as to where the cancer had spread. Unfortunately, CT called later that morning and said contrast cannot go into a scalp IV, so  he had to have a second one put into his arm from IV Therapy. We had to keep the scalp IV because it was running his fluids, so it stayed, and we put a brace over his arm IV to keep him from reaching up and hitting his scalp IV with his busy little hands. Also, to keep the hand he loves to gnaw on so much out of his mouth. He was put under a light sedation to keep him still for the CT scan. While we waited I had my ear pressed up against the door the whole time until Steve asked that I please move away from the door labeled "Radiation." It was just so hard to give my baby to a stranger, let alone to be given sedation.
Going in to his CT scan
 Scalp I.V. 
Daddy giving Hudson the rest of his contrast through a syringe because he wouldn't drink it from a bottle. It took us three hours longer than expected to get him to his scan.
 Transporting back from CT scan. I  could carry him down, but he had to ride back in his crib because of the light sedation.


The CT scan came back showing the tumor is 6 inches by 8 inches, comes from/is acting as his left adrenal gland, has gotten into the blood stream which is making the lumps pop up all over his body, and has put spots on his liver and his lungs.

At tumor board, where the oncologists, surgeons, and residents all get together to discuss Hudson's condition, one of the oncologists suggested we check his bones and bone marrow to make 100% sure it hadn't spread to the bones. This would change his diagnosis if found, so of course we had to check. The bone scan was ordered for 10:30 Friday morning. He would have to get a catheter (which would fall out and have to be replaced by a second one), and an isotope would have to be given into the IV in his arm. This would also require light sedation to keep him still and would be a longer scan.

Ready for his bone scan. We felt more comfortable because it was the same nurse putting him under light sedation who did his sedation for his CT scan.


What we know so far about the bone scan: All of his joints showed activity, which is normal because he is growing so rapidly as a baby, but one little spot in his right femur happened to light up just a little more. They ordered an X-Ray Saturday morning to double check. The X-Ray came back looking okay, but they are taking this week to look over it again.

The X-Ray was the easiest procedure all week long. We were so thankful for a procedure where he didn't have to be put under sedation!


Later Friday, Hudson was scheduled for general anesthesia to do surgery. During this surgery scheduled at 1:30 (though they took him into the OR at 2:30) was to do three things: 1) Biopsy the nodules I found and send the tissue off to pathology to be more certain of our diagnosis of  NeuroblastomaS4. 2) insertion of his Broviac catheter where chemo will be administered and 3) bone marrow/bone aspiration for checking if the cancer has made its way into his bones and bone marrow.

Just out of surgery, nursed, and in Momma's arms.

The preliminary report on the marrow looks good, but we're not out of the woods just yet. The catheter is new and different. We have to learn from home care how to administer Heparin to the lumens, emergency procedures, and just caring for it. The incisions from the biopsy are looking great. Crazy how fast babies heal. Thank God for that!

Hudson just slept through the night for the first time last night, and we are so thankful for every smiling, giggling, drooling moment with our little man. Other than the malignant tumor growing inside him, he is a normal, happy, and healthy baby.

Our first full day home, Sunday, December 15th and Hudson's 3 month birthday! Not how we imagined this picture would look, but praising God that He helped us through this last week.


We will keep up with this blog as our journey continues so that those who are praying can follow along with Hudson. One thing to leave you with, which I am hanging on to with all my heart is, when asked if we will be home for Christmas, our oncologist said YES! Better yet--when asked if we will have a first birthday, he said YES!!! A second birthday? YES!!! A third? A smile and then a YES! :) To which I said, "Sorry...just had to make sure." :)

There are things that can go wrong, and I am very aware of the fact that we will most likely face more struggles through the next three months of treatment. We still have a very big surgery coming up around his six month birthday when they take out his adrenal gland and what is left of the tumor after chemo. BUT...we are prayerful. We have the Lord's hand in all of this. We have laid it at His feet, and we refuse to worry because that is what He has commanded us to do. We give it to God, and we hope you will continue to pray, not with worry in your heart, but with faithful trust that our God will erase this disease in our baby boy and it will just be a bump in the road.

The scripture was written on a notecard from a friend after we lost our first baby. The hope it gave us when pregnant with Cohen was immeasurable. It was shared with me again when we lost the twins, and I couldn't help but know the Lord had bigger plans for us, and then at my baby shower for Hudson, it was read aloud from a book my friends bought him and wrote on the inside cover. Then, in the hospital, our favorite nurse, Kelly had part of the verse on a bracelet I noticed as she was standing over Hudson in his crib one night. Lord, I hearYou. I trust You. I know You have a plan that is greater than I can see, and I love you for that with all my heart. Forever and ever.

6 comments:

  1. I am reading this with tears streaking down my face...I know your fears...I know your pain...I know the feeling of wanting to traade places with your son because we have been there as well.....
    Our journey began with a simple family trip to Disney World and within 24 hours turned into a nightmare I to this day haven't forgotten....our 2 year old turned jaundice and we were flown back emergency because we were told that otherwise he would not likely be with us in 24-48 hours....really? All this from going to Disney World...we spent four days at Dayton Childrens with Dr. Dole and Dr. Carvalo who were trying to figure out why he was in liver failure and as yellow as a banana...after the fourth day and using meds to slow what they could till they had an answer Dr. Carvalo came to the room and said he has one of four problems but none of them have time...he's not stable and he needs to move to the liver transplant center of Cincinnati, we were taken by mobile ICU....we had tons of Dr.s prepping and telling us that he would not make it if they couldn't stabalize him to diagnose him...finally we proceeded anyway, they had already given me the worst case scenario, we had to know or I was going to lose him anyway....I clearly remember the night the doctor sent the chaplain in as they stood outside the glass with tears in their eyes....he prayed with us and I had Doug crawl in bed with him as I went to the bathroom and sat on the floor leaning over the toilet begging God with every inch of my soul to take me at that moment and spare my son....I was afraid to not say the right thing but I poured my heart on him...my frustration, my feats, my anger and my love...I would have been at peace for me to leave and spare him...the next morning they came in with an answer and he was still with us. It came back as AIH....then the question was how to treat him. He started on the meds they typically used but I was told at the time he was only one of six children they had ever seen with it, two of them had passed. He did start to recover but not without our shares of ups and downs...then 6 months after we thought we were in the clear and ready to take that trip to Disney Jayden turned ill again...this time we were rushed back to Cincinnati Children, he was in bone marrow failure...once again on the list of looking for a transplant and hoping it would come in time, and told by the doctors he may not make it...his WBC was 1 and platelets were 26, he couldn't fight if he wanted to and I held him like an egg afraid if he hit his head I would lose him because he couldn't clot but thankfully he started responding to the Neupogen shots. once again told he wouldn't make it, he had no immune system to fight what his body was already working on....same thing, I hit the bathroom running and praying my heart out...he slowly recovered, then two days prior to our third attempt to go to Disney for our rescheduled trio my husband suffered a heart attack and was in the hospital at Good Sam....its been a very long road, Jayden was on chemo for 6 long, grueling years as I watched that drug ravage my son but I am very pleased to report he is in remission and doing well....sure do I worry that everyday I'm going to get a call its back or that he will just start failing again but there is peace in knowing that if it does happen one man never left us, forsake us or stopped loving us....ill take it to him...this pain and burden is too big for us to do on our own...take it to our Lord...you are in my thoughts and prayers and if you need anything and I mean anything I'm here...May God heal Hudson, restore the peace in your family and allow you to heal.

    In Christ's Love,
    Shannon Parmenter

    ReplyDelete
  2. Seeing your post from a friend sharing it, I'm reading this at work with tears flowing. My husband & I just lost our daughter on November 10th. She was with us for 45 minutes, such a short time, but that moment will live on in us a life time. It seems as though you have the faith you need in God to get you & Hudson through this horrible disease. I have said during our hard times these last couple of months, is even though it's hard to see through the storm right now God does have a plan and this must be his will. He is using us and we must trust in him. I pray that he will be with you & Hudson through this journey and the days to come for your family! I will pray for peace, comfort, and also strength for Hudson and also you & your husband.
    God Bless you all and Merry Christmas!!!

    Continuous thoughts & prayers,
    Jen Brewsaugh

    ReplyDelete
  3. Andrea I am absolutly crushed to hear this. My heart is aching for you and your family. Will and Hudson are so close and we shared so much of our pregnacy together it hits so close to home. I will keep you in my heart and prayers as you go through your journey to get Hudson good as new. Jennifer I heard about your daughter from my sister in law Brandy Conarroe. I am so sorry for your loss as well. You have been in prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Andrea it breaks my heart to know that you and your family are going through this. We will keep you, Hudson, and your entire family in our prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know from personal experience over the past few weeks that prayers and faith in God works in the most miraculous of ways. My 8 year old boy had 60% of his left temporal lobe removed along with a brain mass on December 10th. By December 13th we were heading home. The surgical team called his recovery rate amazing but I know in my heart that God was with him and wasn't ready for him to leave this earth. I was probably annoying at times because I told everyone I came in contact with about his condition not because I wanted people to feel sorry for us but because I wanted as many people as possible praying for my little boy. God is the almighty healer and Hudson is in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Prayers are being sent up from SJHS for you to hold onto that hope and trust in your Almighty Father. May He comfort you and heal Hudson.

    ReplyDelete